Let’s Take a Pacific Island Break Now

On the other side of the world from where my major focus rests in recent times lies an idyllic region of the world which many would see as a form of paradise – the South Sea or Pacific Islands. But all is no longer paradise there. The islands having asserted – fully as far as I know – their independence from colonialism some time ago, are wanting to develop their prosperity along with the rest of the world. Well, that’s the vision anyway, though whether the world is actually enjoying any meaningful prosperity now – apart from the 1% of the global population busily occupied in skimming off the wealth of the remaining 99% as fast as they can. These island nations are being harrassed by old colonial powers, feeling the pinch of leaner times themselves, to allow a degree of control similar to what went on in earlier times. It is not couched in those terms, but ‘control’ is what lies beneath the seemingly friendly gestures.

Into the ring steps China with offers of meaningful cooperation and peaceful coexistence – a totally new concept in the Pacific region. And China has the means and the clout to make appropriate guarantees towards real growth. The ‘colonialists’ have no answer to that. They have only empty pockets. And so they pitch their case on the ‘threat’ of doing business with China – seemingly unaware that any rational government can already see the benefits of cooperating with China in nations all around them. And China is talking in $billions in aid, whereas the ‘colonialists’ offer a few measly ‘millions’. It is not difficult to envisage in which direction the island nations will lean. And that can only be a good thing for them and for the world. Not so much for the colonialists who will need to reconsider their own allegiances as a matter of self-preservation.

The future rests with the new – what did I call it the other day (a name actually coined by Amarynth of The Saker Blog – and which I failed to attribute specifically, which was remiss of me), ah yes, a world-changing epoch. Quite a fitting name for what is being developed by Russia and China, chiefly and all those who align with them in a Pan-Eurasian project for the good of mankind.

But on the specific subject of which I write, there is a useful current article from the Global Times…

“China to provide South Pacific countries ‘what US, Australia failed to offer’” – Yang Sheng and Liu Caiyu for Global Times

That is a very interesting article, from which I will share a few quotes based mainly around ‘spheres of influence’. ‘Spheres of influence’ are a colonialist concept. They hold no place in the new order.

Australia apparently regards the South Pacific as its exclusive sphere of influence and has attempted to ostracize China. But China’s successful cooperation with the island countries based on mutual respect and reciprocal benefits has been accepted and welcomed by the island countries.

…countries, no matter big or small, should be treated equally – they are not there for anyone to win over and to control.

Australia’s colonial mentality toward the South Pacific region” is that it always assumes itself as “a leader of South Pacific countries” or “a head in a family” that everyone must obey.

No one wants to be controlled and made use of by others while receiving very limited benefits. So the West, or Australia’s presence in the region, was not welcome. But due to the weak national strengths, the island countries didn’t have many choices in the past, analysts said. But now these countries have found that China is a major power which is willing to treat them equally and can provide win-win cooperation and seek no control over them.

It’s a no-brainer, don’t you think?

And what guarantee that there will even be an Australia in years to come? Or at least an Australia which can wield any form of colonial control – but may itself be colonialized. Or even to suffer the fate of becoming an abandoned land.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: